1. Keep informed – check the weather report before you go outside.
2. Keep warm – stay dry and dress in layers that can be easily removed.
3. Clear your path – keep your home walkways free of ice and snow.
4. Dress for winter weather – frostbite can happen in less than a minute, so cover as much exposed skin as possible.
5. Stay visible – wear bright-colored clothing in snowy weather.
6. Stay active and safe – watch out for hazards while you are outside.
7. Plan your route – know the heated buildings in your neighborhood such as libraries, malls, restaurants, etc.
8. Walk safe – winter boots should be comfortable with a wide and low heel.
9. Stay hydrated – drink a lot of water and avoid alcohol and excessive caffeine, which can lead to dehydration.
In addition to the tips above, you should also have a basic emergency kit ready during the winter months. Below are the items you want to have in your emergency kit.
• At least 3L of bottled water per person per day
• Canned food and a manual can opener
• Flashlights and batteries
• First aid kit
• Extra keys and cash
• Important documents in a waterproof container
• Sanitation supplies and basic toiletries
• Prescription medications
• Blankets or sleeping bags
By knowing the risks, creating a plan, and having an emergency kit ready, you can stay safe all winter long!
Meet our Author!
By Jennifer Cruse| Senior Social Media Strategist
Jennifer attended West Virginia University and earned both a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and a Master of Science in Integrated Marketing Communications. She began working for a group of colleges before graduating with her Master’s. In this role, Jennifer helped manage all marketing activities. This included more traditional marketing like TV and radio, and also modern marketing like social media and digital ad campaigns. Jennifer is experienced in creating high-level strategies and operational tactics. She believes marketing is both an art and a science, because it takes an artist to create and a scientist to measure the results. Jennifer is super excited to be in her current role as Senior Social Strategist at Sutherland! When not working, Jennifer enjoys spending time with her two sons. Playing outside, swimming, and basketball are some of their favorite things to do! She also enjoys reading about all things science and technology!