- How and when did you first begin working at Sutherland?
I first began with Sutherland in 2009 as a Sales Consultant on one of our consumer sales programs. I was drawn to Sutherland due to the flexibility and opportunity to gain valuable experience while attending one of the local colleges in Rochester, NY.
- What drives and motivates you to give your best each day?
As I progressed from Consultant to my current role, I had a variety of mentors who helped in my development. As a Manager of Organizational Capability, I have been empowered to facilitate leadership workshops through many of our sites in the Americas. The opportunity to positively impact the career path of others, much like those who invested time mentoring me, is what drives me each day.
- What are your top three most important accomplishments here at Sutherland?
Having joined Sutherland while in school, many of my career accomplishments have happened here. The three I am most proud of are:
- In 2014, I was selected to partner with one of Sutherland’s clients to launch a new line of business for Sutherland. The team showed success with initial launch including 25 full time employees. After less than six months, Sutherland partnered with the client to grow the business to over 125 full time employees based on performance.
- In 2015, I had the opportunity to travel to Barranquilla, Colombia to assist a sales and service program that was not meeting client expectations. During the 1 month I spent onsite, I partnered with Account Managers and Team Managers to deploy strategic coaching methodologies to assist in improving performance and client perception. At the close of my partnership with the team, they had achieved three consecutive months of being the top vendor partner in their scorecard.
- In 2016, I joined the Organizational Capability team becoming one of the core members tasked with redesigning how we onboard and develop our Team Managers globally.
- Have you held multiple positions at Sutherland? If so, how did you get from where you started, to where you are now?
Since Joining Sutherland, I have held the role of Sales Consultant, Sales Coach, Team Manager, Senior Team Manager, Leadership Development Champion, Account Manager, and Manager of Organizational Capability. The number one reason I have progressed with Sutherland is because I have had amazing mentors around me each step of the way who invested in my development and pushed me outside of my comfort zone.
- What is your favorite thing about working at Sutherland?
My favorite part of working at Sutherland is without question the people. Our large global footprint has provided me the opportunity to partner with and learn from individuals who are located all over the world. The unique cultural experiences that our employees bring with them each day is not only what makes coming to work enjoyable, but also helps us to create the best solutions for our clients and employees.
- Do you think there is growth potential for people who want to advance their career at Sutherland?
Absolutely, I started my professional career with Sutherland as an entry-level Sales Consultant. Sutherland has not only provided advancement, but has helped me uncover many strengths and passions I was previously unaware of.
- What would be your advice to someone wanting to work at Sutherland?
Career progression is all about finding your comfort zone and pushing yourself out of it. Here at Sutherland there are many opportunities to get started and to progress in your career. If you are always bound by your comfort zone, you will never find what makes you happy.
Meet our Author!
By Debra Mason | I’m from the Paradise Island of Jamaica and was raised in the parish of St. Catherine. I graduated from the University of the West Indies Mona Campus with a B.A in Language Communication and Society. I love anywhere with water and can’t swim to save my life, but it doesn’t stop me from jumping in (life jacket and all). I enjoy spending time with family and friends, and having chill moments that help me to unwind and enjoy the simply things in life. When I’m not working, I enjoy planning trips with my friends across the country to see rivers, falls or the beach, having a barbecue cook out, or catching a movie on the big screen. I also enjoy singing and karaoke events. My motivation in life is my family, as they have played a major role in molding me into the young woman I am today.