When it comes to choosing your costume, try to keep the question, “Would my grandmother disapprove of what I’m wearing?” in mind. In other words, is it appropriate to wear in public? To help give you more of an idea of what is appropriate to wear for a costume, here are some tips to keep in mind when deciding:
- Try to avoid skin tight or clingy costumes. Body suites and stockings may make onlookers uncomfortable; remember, you have to consider your team mates comfort level, not just your own.
- Kilts and mini-skirts shouldn’t be too short. If you choose to wear a skirt or dress, make sure its length doesn’t exceed 4 inches above the knee.
- Try to avoid wearing revealing clothing in general. It’s not appropriate any other day, so Halloween should be no different.
- If you’re thinking of wearing fancy shoes, try to keep comfort and walking upstairs in mind. If you can’t walk in them for too long, then perhaps they aren’t work appropriate. Pain is just not worth the beauty.
- Racially or ethnically offensive costumes are totally out of the question; use good judgement and be sensitive to our wonderfully diverse culture.
- Keep politics out of the office. Your Hillary and Donald costumes may delight your out of office peers, but those who admire these public figures in day-to-day life could consider them offensive.
As long as you follow these rules, you should be in the clear from receiving a phone call from HR. Halloween is a great time to have fun with your coworkers, and bond over your creativity or love of the characters you choose to become. But don’t make the mistake of taking your outfit too far. Since you’re still in an office environment, you definitely want to tone down your costume so that it’s appropriate for work. If you’re still looking for ideas for this coming holiday, I’ve listed some top websites below to help you compile some ideas! Maybe you can convince your whole office to have a themed group costume?!
Be sure to share with us what you wear by tweeting at us @SutherlandHires and tagging us in your Instagram photos @sutherlandhiresna ! Have a happy and safe Halloween!
Meet our Author!
I joined the team in August of 2015. Before this career, I was attending Le Moyne College for a Bachelor’s degree in Marketing and minors in Philosophy and Art Administration. I was also working as an intern at Welch Allyn Inc for the Product Marketing department. I currently live in Auburn, NY where I grew up and have two adorable dogs! Some things I enjoy doing: Running 5k races, painting/drawing, photography, eating and making food, hiking, and traveling.